Wednesday 18 March 2009

One Man's Shame

It was way back in 2003 when I first heard of William Elliot Whitmore.


I went to see a hardcore band called Converge with my mate Stu. I remember this gig really well because it was one of those shows that had such a weird line up. The headline act were supported by another hardcore band, the now defunct, Modern Life Is War along side an ambient sound-scrape-y, “I swear we’re not trying to be Mogwai”, band called Red Sparrows who are made up of members of Neurosis and Isis.

I remember being one of the few people in the audience that night chugging on the sweet , sweet amber nectar and being frowned at by all the Morris dancing, straight edge vegans* in attendance. I also remember the pit when Converge and Modern Life Is War playing being one of the most vicious I have seen / participated in.

Sandwiched in between all of the sweaty teens in skin tight jeans was one beer swilling man and his banjo. His name is William Elliot Whitmore. The man with a voice that sounds like he's been breast fed on Marlboro reds and a sound that that was so eerily cool, it took me completely off guard.

I came away from the gig completely blown away by WEW more so than any other band on the bill. I went out the next day and bought all of his records. If you can, pick up ‘Ashes To Dust’ or ‘Song Of The Blackbird’. They won’t let you down.

He is playing the Borderline Club in London on the 15th of April (ONE NIGHT BEFORE AC/DC!!!....I’ll save this for another post.) Make sure you catch this guy. It’s the right amount of alcohol-soaked-sorrow, dirty blues and broken heart country songs to not only allow you to enjoy yourself but if you bring your girl, you will definitely get laid. In the mean time, check out a live recording of 'One Man's Shame'.

Fuck, I love misery!



*There is nothing wrong with your life style but it does make you a pussy and you die earlier due to your horrible, horrible diet. You need iron, dick head!

No comments:

Post a Comment